Obamacare: Act now before open enrollment ends

I receive SS benefits due to disability in the amount of $28,800 a year. My wife does not work. Will we be eligible for a subsidy for her insurance?

Dead Stick in Texas

Dear Dead Stick,
Yes, she will be able to get a subsidy for her health insurance as long as she does not have any employer-based plan offered to her. At $28,800 annual income and a two-person household, you are a little under 200% of Federal Poverty. Households with between 100% and 400% of Federal Poverty qualify for subsidies. Note: she will list your Social Security as her household income, even though the income is not taxable. The Affordable Care Act definition of modified adjusted gross income includes non-taxable income.
Make sure that you at least try to enroll before the March 31 deadline. This deadline may get extended but probably only for filing the paperwork, not for starting an application. Once open enrollment is over, you will have to wait until next year to get her a plan.

Linda Riddell

About Linda Riddell

A published author and health policy analyst with 25 years’ experience, Linda Riddell's goal is to alleviate the widespread ailment of not knowing what your health plan can do for you.